A mom is concerned about whether she should medicate her son who is 8 years old and has been diagnosed with ADHD. She is interested in learning the pros and cons to using ADHD medication. She also wants to know about ADHD symptom reducing techniques like foods to avoid.
Several moms posted their responses, which you can read here. Below are the ideas these moms tried before they used medicine:
- Before trying medicine, keep data on what triggers symptoms.
- Keep a food diary and also a sleep diary.
- Give fish oil and a daily vitamin.
- Eliminate artificial dyes.
- Try going gluten free, dairy free or eating all natural foods.
- Try music therapy.
- Positive reinforcement, behavior modifications, reward charts.
- Private ABA Therapy
Many moms chimed in about their own child that takes medication. One mom said to medicate if the mom feels it is right for her son, not if the school wants her to medicate. ADHD medication seemed to help some of the kids but some moms said the meds didn’t work for their kids.
Did YOU consider medicating your 8 year old child with ADHD?